Ads 468x60px

Sunday, April 15, 2012

How good is social Networking?


Late in the New Year’s Eve (It’s about Nepali New year i.e. BS 2069), what do you expect a lad (in his early 20’s) be doing?? Let me pick you a guess: Partying, dating a Girlfriend or may be reading a novel or travelling and discovering places. But I had been checking tweeter updates, chatting and having group discussions on different subjects in Facebook since 4 days. Of course it was my 5th day of obsession. (Before, I was busy preparing exams and am on college holiday now)

I had been in the virtual world for days and the spontaneity continued till late night until I got up from bed late in the morning to have myself cleared off the early morning routine and then backed myself to the virtual world again. Then on the 6th day I landed in despair having realized the nothingness I had been on. I was leading to nowhere but a falsity, so I decided and quit many groups.

Yes of course, I am not the one to have this so called social Media Sickness. There are many of us and in fact many of the teens and youths spend much of their days uselessly chatting and having group discussions, playing games in the social networking sites and even using different apps. So questions arise- Where are we leading to? Are the Social Media well guiding the youths? Is there a positive effect on youth’s behavior due to the social Media? How well are the youths using them?

With the advent to communication technology in the underdeveloped countries (like mine-Nepal) and developing countries Internet is getting cheaper and by some means it is now reachable to most of us. The trend then has been, youths joining the social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter or Google Plus.  They then indulge and spend a considerable time everyday checking updates from their friends, chatting, playing games, using different apps and even sneaking into other’s profiles and go after pictures.

The point here I have been trying to say is that Social Networking sites are not only the boons but side by side are proving to be misleading and addicting. So, crimes related to the social networking are on rise. Security concerns are high than any time before. Creativity and the productivity of youths have lowered.

So, what could be the solution? Till date the Question remains much discussed and yet unanswered properly. But the best way I think is having consciousness in us. We should be cautious not to get addicted with the social networking. The other ways could be the limiting usage, which seems practically impossible as there are always a means to avoid this and I even would have to depend on social media to share this post after having discovered myself getting addicted.  :D

Have your say
Have you found social networking addicting as I did? How have you indulged in social Media? What have you done to prevent yourself get away from social networking habits?

1 comments:

nite2twinkler said...

this is the bitter reality. everybody goes through or is going through this. it was inevitable. as you said i support the idea of knowing the limits from within. but in my personal experience, soon or late everybody gets fed up. only for those who never decide to do so, we can do nothing. in my case i had to nothing beyond the feeling of truth - no this is not helping me any more. i should stop it. then i did it :)

Post a Comment